Re: [TR] TR250 handling question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR250 handling question
From: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 18:38:34 -0500
--===============4637392870371063403==
 boundary="------------070509030405020406000202"

--------------070509030405020406000202

Nothing was said about a quick ratio rack, so hopefully it it the
standard ratio rack.

Here is what they say the toe in is set for - the only thing I asked about.

It is currently set at 18-20 minutes of toe in, or between 1/4 and 1/3
of a degree.

The manual has it in inches, but according to a calculator I fond on
line, this seems to be in line with the specs.

Thanks.

On 06/27/2016 03:14 PM, Geo Hahn wrote:
> Did the shop use a stock rack or possibly a 'quick ratio' rack?
>
> http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=63907&SortOrder=10
>
> Geo
>
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Pat Fischer <pfischer@rmi.net
>
>     Hello, Listers. Hoping for your expertise here.
>
>     Took the 250 to a local shop for some small body repair and new
>     tires. Handling of the car has always been superb with
>     wider-than-stock wheels and low profile tires, but the two of the
>     tires were 15 years old, so a rubber update was needed. The shop
>     also told me that the car also needed a new steering rack and tie
>     rod ends. They did this, set alignment and lubed the front end.
>
>     First getting the car back, the car vibrated at 70 on the highway.
>     Shop says they've fixed that with re-balancing the tires. (I
>     haven't driven it yet.)
>
>     Next, the car feels skittish, jittery at 50-60 mph, and you have
>     to keep correcting with steering to keep it straight in its lane.
>     You'll be driving along just fine and then Whoops! there is goes
>     twitching left a bit. It doesn't feel stuck to the road as before
>     this work was done. Here's the question: the shop tells us that
>     this is normal after replacing the steering rack, that "the car is
>     more responsive," in their words, and has "a more immediate feel
>     to it," but they also reference this as "twitchy-ness."
>
>     What should expectations be upon replacing steering rack and
>     tie-rod ends?
>
>     Many thanks,
>
>     Pat Fischer
>

>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>     Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ahwahneetr@gmail.com
>

> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/elliottr@rmi.net

--------------070509030405020406000202

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Nothing was said about a quick ratio rack, so hopefully it it the
    standard ratio rack.<br>
    Here is what they say the toe in is set for - the only thing I asked
    about.<br>
      style="font-family:&quot;Helvetica&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">It
      is currently set at 18-20 minutes of toe in, or between 1/4 and
      1/3 of a degree.<br>
      The manual has it in inches, but according to a calculator I fond
      on line, this seems to be in line with the specs.<br>
      Thanks.<br>
cite="mid:CANzE1bEcvqs2qW6NpN-DXqb-zWnRBKxqq1CR5HVkd0ofZvKU0Q@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
          rack?</div>
href="http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=63907&amp;SortOrder=10";>http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=63907&amp;SortOrder=10</a></div>
          Fischer <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:pfischer@rmi.net";
target="_blank">pfischer@rmi.net</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hello,
            Listers. Hoping for your expertise here.<br>
            Took the 250 to a local shop for some small body repair and
            new tires. Handling of the car has always been superb with
            wider-than-stock wheels and low profile tires, but the two
            of the tires were 15 years old, so a rubber update was
            needed. The shop also told me that the car also needed a new
            steering rack and tie rod ends. They did this, set alignment
            and lubed the front end.<br>
            First getting the car back, the car vibrated at 70 on the
            highway. Shop says they've fixed that with re-balancing the
            tires. (I haven't driven it yet.)<br>
            Next, the car feels skittish, jittery at 50-60 mph, and you
            have to keep correcting with steering to keep it straight in
            its lane. You'll be driving along just fine and then Whoops!
            there is goes twitching left a bit. It doesn't feel stuck to
            the road as before this work was done. Here's the question:
            the shop tells us that this is normal after replacing the
            steering rack, that "the car is more responsive," in their
            words, and has "a more immediate feel to it," but they also
            reference this as "twitchy-ness."<br>
            What should expectations be upon replacing steering rack and
            tie-rod ends?<br>
            Many thanks,<br>
            Pat Fischer<br>
            ** <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";
target="_blank">triumphs@autox.team.net</a>
            **<br>
            Donate: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target="_blank"
              rel="noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/archive"; target="_blank"
              rel="noreferrer">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/forums"; target="_blank"
              rel="noreferrer">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ahwahneetr@gmail.com";
              target="_blank"
rel="noreferrer">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ahwahneetr@gmail.com</a><br>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>

--===============4637392870371063403==--