[Fot] The Magic of Magnesium - Wheels that is...

Subject: [Fot] The Magic of Magnesium - Wheels that is...
From: tr4abrad at gmail.com (Brad Eells)
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 22:10:59 -0700
To use, or not to use...that is the question...

Amici,

My Spitfire came with a set of original magnesium Minilite wheels. 13x6.5 I
believe.

They have the remains of silver paint on them along with some expected
surface corrosion. I understand that original Minilites came painted from
the factory.

I have perused the internet and found comments ranging from "dangerous, do
not use" to "I've been racing mine for 50 years with no troubles".

I turn to this group for advice. What would FOT do?

I personally would like to use them. I have found much information on
restoring them with paint and powder coat after a crack test. Some leave
them natural with a coating of a substance called 'Gibbs Brand'.

I would like to repaint or powder coat in silver as original.

Here's a fun picture with a set of Toyo R888's that I picked up over the
weekend at Buttonwillow and the original Goodyear Sports Car Specials that
were on the car. There's about a 25% difference in tread width!

Yes, I would love some opinions...tell me I'm nuts or I'm not...fire away!

?
?
Thanks,

Brad