[Fot] Spit Axles

Subject: [Fot] Spit Axles
From: vangoughv at hotmail.com (Vince G)
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 01:08:59 +0000
Checkuered flag racing could probably give you good advice, parts etc.  I may
be converting my GT6+ to their rear axle set up for racing spitfires.

Vince

Need some info and help!!

Had to take a rear axle disc brake set up off a SCCA Spit so I can run it in
vintage. To do that you got to remove the axle bearings. To remove the axle
bearings you have to use a chisel and pop one or both sides of the press on
axle bearing retaining ring to spread it a small amount so it?ll come off the
axle. Then the bearing can come of and the brake backing plate comes off.
Iinstallation is the opposite except you use a drum brake backing plates. When
I used to work for BCA a thousand years ago we sold replacement press on
retaining rings.  So I went to the local industrial bearing distributor, they
got the roller bearings, they got the seals they got the inner needle bearings
I need  but they say they haven?t seen a press on retainer ring in a zillion
years.

So these are Sommers Bros axles, that are probably 15-20 years old, what the
heck do I do now??  I have searched the web, called a lot of places and nada.

Anybody got an idea?? I got a pair of axles that are no good that keep the car
parked that I just put a new engine in???

<image001.png><dieselperformanceparts.com>

Mark Craig
Diesel Performance Parts, Inc.
411 Allied Drive, Nashville, TN 37211
www.dieselperformanceparts.com<http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com/>