Re: [TR] IS THERE ANY SPOT ON THE ENGINE'S ROTATION WHERE THE TAPPET FAL

To: Allen Hess <allenhess@mgcarclub.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] IS THERE ANY SPOT ON THE ENGINE'S ROTATION WHERE THE TAPPET FALLING OUT...
From: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul1@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 07:57:57 -0400
Cc: "Triumph list Team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--0000000000000577780576889652

Will do, thanks.Great idea!

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 5:48 PM Allen Hess <allenhess@mgcarclub.com> wrote:

> stick a coathanger or similar wire down the hole and hold the tappet down
> while you pull the push rod out.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Sep 21, 2018, at 9:17 PM, Paul Dorsey <dorpaul1@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you everyone, I have found there is no such thing as cheap oil,
> but that is proably not my biggest issue at this point.  I had this tr 3-4
> engine running 5 or 10 years ago when I realized I didn't have enough time
> for this project and threw in the towel.  At that point it had recently
> been rebuilt by a well respected engine shop locally.  Unfortunately, I
> didn't even periodically turn over the engine while it was in the TR3
> outside under tarps. I had run it in-place for a total of about 5 hours
> (varying the rpm's) after rebuild at this point.  And it seemed to run good.
> >      Now that I am back to continue the rebuild I notice that  one of
> the pushrods for cylinder No. 2 has seriously come out from underneath it's
> rocker arm.  I previously sent out a picture showing this problem, (if
> anyone else cares to see it, I can resend it.)  I don't know how this
> happened but I am back to turning the engine over manually in order to fix
> this pushrod problem
> >   Several of you told me there might be a danger in simply removing this
> pushrod as it may create a kinda "suction" effect, and if I am not careful
> when removing it, it may 'pull' up it's tappet riding on the cam causing it
> to fall into the engine.  However,  I do need to pull out the pushrod to
> make sure it's not bent.  IS THERE ANY SPOT ON THE ENGINE'S ROTATION WHERE
> THE TAPPET FALLING OUT IS LESS LIKELY TO OCCUR?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Paul Dorsey  (hardly a shade tree mechanic)
> > 60 TR3

--0000000000000577780576889652

div dir=3D"ltr">On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 5:48 PM Allen Hess &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:allenhess@mgcarclub.com">allenhess@mgcarclub.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></=
div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-lef=
t:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">stick a coathanger or similar wire down =
the hole and hold the tappet down while you pull the push rod out. <br>
Sent from my iPad<br>
&gt; On Sep 21, 2018, at 9:17 PM, Paul Dorsey &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dorpaul=
1@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">dorpaul1@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thank you everyone, I have found there is no such thing as cheap oil, =
but that is proably not my biggest issue at this point.=C2=A0 I had this tr=
 3-4 engine running 5 or 10 years ago when I realized I didn&#39;t have eno=
ugh time for this project and threw in the towel.=C2=A0 At that point it ha=
d recently been rebuilt by a well respected engine shop locally.=C2=A0 Unfo=
rtunately, I didn&#39;t even periodically turn over the engine while it was=
 in the TR3 outside under tarps. I had run it in-place for a total of about=
 5 hours (varying the rpm&#39;s) after rebuild at this point.=C2=A0 And it =
seemed to run good.<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Now that I am back to continue the rebuild I notic=
e that=C2=A0 one of the pushrods for cylinder No. 2 has seriously come out =
from underneath it&#39;s rocker arm.=C2=A0 I previously sent out a picture =
showing this problem, (if anyone else cares to see it, I can resend it.)=C2=
=A0 I don&#39;t know how this happened but I am back to turning the engine =
over manually in order to fix this pushrod problem<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0Several of you told me there might be a danger in simply r=
emoving this pushrod as it may create a kinda &quot;suction&quot; effect, a=
nd if I am not careful when removing it, it may &#39;pull&#39; up it&#39;s =
tappet riding on the cam causing it to fall into the engine.=C2=A0 However,=
=C2=A0 I do need to pull out the pushrod to make sure it&#39;s not bent.=C2=
=A0 IS THERE ANY SPOT ON THE ENGINE&#39;S ROTATION WHERE THE TAPPET FALLING=
 OUT IS LESS LIKELY TO OCCUR?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; thanks,<br>
&gt; Paul Dorsey=C2=A0 (hardly a shade tree mechanic)=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; 60 TR3<br>

--0000000000000577780576889652--

--===============6535431805789302735==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **