Re: [TR] stromberg CD carb metering needle removal

To: "'Frank Magnusson'" <fmags@cox.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] stromberg CD carb metering needle removal
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 13:18:04 -0800
> It looks
> like there is a special tool to remove it.  Has anyone done
> this with this type of spring loaded metering needle, and any
> words of wisdom?

The needle and carrier (should) just pull out as a unit after you have
unscrewed the adjustment all the way.  You'll need a mixture wrench (the
long hex wrench with the aluminum piece that rides on the shank) to undo the
adjustment.

Then you can use a suitably sized rod (I used an unsharpened #2 pencil) to
tap the adjusting screw and it's retaining clip out the top.  I found it
easier to hold the piston and rap the end of the pencil against the bench,
but either way should work.

This diagram is from the TR6 workshop manual, but matches perfectly the
carbs on my 71 Stag.
https://imgur.com/fEppxYT

There is more at the bottom of the article at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Carbs/CarbsII/CarbsII.htm

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild

** triumphs@autox.team.net **