Re: [TR] TR cylinder heads

To: "'Randall'" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>, "'Dave'" <dlhogye@comcast.net>, "'Andrew Uprichard'" <auprichard@uprichard.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR cylinder heads
From: "John Macartney" <john.macartney@ukpips.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 17:15:52 -0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I wasn't able to pick up on this thread owing to other pressures. I'm
assuming the thread refers to an earlier post where someone queried the
existence of a number on a wet liner four pot? If I'm looking at the same
hymn sheet, these raised numbers cast in the head are usually found in the
middle-ish of the head adjacent to the valves and  are not an alternative
part number, nor will you find them in any parts catalogue. You can see the
raised number on a little plinth which is visible underneath the rocker
arms. I know from more recent experiences with the six cylinder engine that
this same 'number' is about adjacent to valve stem three and/or four. The
same may apply to the four pot. That number is not a part number per se but
an engineering reference number for use in production - and no other
purpose! If I had been a Wise Virgin some fifty or more years ago and kept
my engineering change reference guides, I'd be able to tell you  chapter and
verse on any head produced by the company for any market from 1946 to 1973.
However, long, long before the days of the internet, I looked at those
numbers in their manual and wondered "who on earth would ever want these?"
and they went in the trash. Sorry, everyone!
For those of you who have the 2.5 litre six cylinder, bear these two numbers
in mind - 219015 and/or 219016.
These identify the very last head ever re-worked for that engine and it is
by far the best head in terms of porting, port diameter, gas flow and swirl
within the combustion chamber. AFAIK, it was never fitted to North American
cars as they had lower CR's from 1971 onwards but if anyone is ever in the
UK or Europe and at a Triumph parts fair and you see one available that's
undamaged, GRAB it! Not many enthusiasts realise the true worth of this head
and I fitted one to my 2.5 injection saloon and the performance improvement
was amazing.

Jonmac