Re: [TR] Old Nugget: wire wheel paint

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Old Nugget: wire wheel paint
From: Frank Magnusson <fmags@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 14:56:00 -0600
Hi Terry,

Not sure what paint prep work you did before painting, but that could be your
problem.  The proper way to do it which very few people do is after stripping
to bare metal, then chemically treat the metal, then expoxy prime, then top
coat with a hardener added.  I did mine like this many years ago and have had
no issues.  An automotive paint supplier showed me that, and lo and behold its
right on the can.  I use PPG and their  chemical treating is a two chemical
process.  A good automotive paint shop can color match it for you in as little
as a quart.  If you dont have spray equipment, Preval makes a good setup for
small jobs.  Its a glass jar with an aerosol spray cartridge attached at the
top.  Its fairly inexpensive and gives really nice results, although you'd use
alot of them for a wheel.  A descent detail spray gun and a compressor are not
very expensive either.

There are lots of short cuts; self etching primer, no chemical treating, no
hardener, and I've tried all of those, but never get as good results as I do
doing it the full treatment.

Hope this helps,
Frank

Sent from my iPad