Re: [TR] TR3 oil pumps and oil pans

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 oil pumps and oil pans
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 11:37:49 -0600

--------------B2891413447849EB66DF5D4F

If you are replacing the cork seals on the side of the sealing block, be
aware that the current ones are too large.  Cut them down to fit the
cavity in the sealing block with a sharp knife - leaving the side to
stick up above the main gasket sealing surface.  After installation,
trim the cork sticking above the main oil pan gasket sealing surface.

Regards, Tony Drews

On 1/31/2019 10:23 AM, Randall wrote:
> The cork sounds like maybe the ones that go on either side of the front
> sealing block.  You might need to cut them to fit, though.  ISTR the
> originals were smaller than 1" square, but had a tab that sticks out on one
> side.
>
> No real need for dressing on that gasket; won't matter a bit if it weeps a
> little.  But ISTR I smeared some Hylomar on there last time anyway, just for
> luck.
>
> BTW, here's a PDF of the workshop manual (which "the Bentley" is a copy of).
> It's not real handy on a smart phone, but at least marginally useful.
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffYWZiN2VlZGMtNTkxMi00NGUzLWE4Nz
> MtMGRkODRkYzU3MDU1
>
> -- Randall
> 56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
> 71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
> 71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/tony@tonydrews.com

--------------B2891413447849EB66DF5D4F

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      block, be aware that the current ones are too large.  Cut them
      down to fit the cavity in the sealing block with a sharp knife -
      leaving the side to stick up above the main gasket sealing
      surface.  After installation, trim the cork sticking above the
      main oil pan gasket sealing surface.</p>
      cite="mid:B3A4FA6F68804D1B9197A356570D1AB7@RYPC">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">The cork sounds like maybe the ones
that go on either side of the front
sealing block.  You might need to cut them to fit, though.  ISTR the
originals were smaller than 1" square, but had a tab that sticks out on one
side.

No real need for dressing on that gasket; won't matter a bit if it weeps a
little.  But ISTR I smeared some Hylomar on there last time anyway, just for
luck.

BTW, here's a PDF of the workshop manual (which "the Bentley" is a copy of).
It's not real handy on a smart phone, but at least marginally useful.
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffYWZiN2VlZGMtNTkxMi00NGUzLWE4Nz";>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffYWZiN2VlZGMtNTkxMi00NGUzLWE4Nz</a>
MtMGRkODRkYzU3MDU1

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild
</pre>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>