Re: [TR] Packing front wheel bearings

To: "'EDWARD WOODS'" <fogbro1@comcast.net>, "'triumph list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Packing front wheel bearings
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 13:46:44 -0700
> When packing front wheel bearings, is there any benefit to
> filling the hub with grease?

The theory I've heard (even in a manual somewhere, I think) is that
_partially_ packing the hub with grease can help hold grease into the wheel
bearings when they get hot.  Otherwise, the grease in the bearing can melt
and run away, leaving the bearing dry.

Another benefit, I suspect, is that a hub full of grease doesn't "breathe"
as much as one full of air.  When the hub gets hot, so does the air inside,
and it expands.  Then when the hub cools, the air contracts and sucks dirty
air in past the seals.

But I don't do it myself.  I just pack the cone as full as I can, then smear
a heavy layer on the outside of the rollers, and put it in place.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **