Re: [TR] Packing front wheel bearings

To: "Triumphs (triumphs@autox.team.net)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Packing front wheel bearings
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 07:38:35 -0400
On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 12:56 PM EDWARD WOODS <fogbro1@comcast.net> wrote:

> When packing front wheel bearings, is there any benefit to filling the hub
> with grease?

I have always packed the bearings thoroughly, then added a layer in
the hub as thick as the stops that the outer race rests on.  Packing
it full, I've always been told, is a bad idea for all sorts of
reasons.  I've never been comfortable leaving it completely empty,
though...for no particular reason.  In 45 years, I've never had
leaking/blown seals or prematurely worn bearings.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.
** triumphs@autox.team.net **