Re: [TR] Shakedown drive questions

To: "'David Templeton'" <davidt@opentext.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Shakedown drive questions
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 16:51:04 -0700
> *     After even a short drive, open the hood and vapors, do
> not know if it is steam or smoke is coming out of the valve
> breatherâ?¦.What is that?

Piston rings never seal perfectly, a tiny bit of exhaust gets into the
crankcase every time a cylinder fires.  Exhaust has a lot of water in it, which
can condense to visible vapor.  Plus, the oil flying off the crankshaft (and
other places) tends to form an oil mist, which gets pushed out by the exhaust
gases.  So, it winds up being a mixture of oil, smoke and steam.

> *     Cruising along in 4th at about 100kph/60mph, give a
> little more gas I hear, what is badly described as a
> â??pingingâ?? of â??tingingâ??.  I am thinking the dizzy is advancing
> too far?  Or not far enough?

Probably too far for conditions.  Double-check your initial advance, which
should be around 4 degrees BTDC.  If you can set it there and still hear
pinging under any conditions, then I would check the advance operation.

Don't continue to drive it that way, as pinging can destroy pistons, etc.

> *     Looks like the MTL being a little thinner and as such
> is â??weepingâ?? from places ð???

Part of the reason I like MT-90 instead.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html

Unsubscribe/Manage: