Re: [TR] Spring Time in the Smith Garage

To: TERRY SMITH <terryrs@comcast.net>,triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Spring Time in the Smith Garage
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> DNuuMs67U8fNfjhJ2xNG85KInEE3VPLIb0lJvl6FsGx+qfnfeAdQfxW31n4wOiZa8Wac7yEW0oWWMahISWiqRLajFU4PU2pgE9U=
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 20:59:56 -0500

------ASAMEVOZ8OGB3UGJJYAX2PCTR0NV32
 charset=utf-8

Which springs are you talking about? There's a compression spring on the je=
t housing that just keeps the mixture but from moving=2E And an extension s=
pring to the side that returns the jets to the non-choke position after usi=
ng the choke=2E

People use the term "vapor lock" to cover a lot of different actual proble=
ms=2E True vapor lock (IMO) is when the fuel boils before reaching the fuel=
 pump (or inside the pump)=2E The pump is not effective at moving vapor (he=
nce quits pumping and becomes vapor locked)=2E
I've never seen that on a TR=2E And rerouting the line after the pump woul=
dn't help if that was the problem=2E

Your problem sounds more like percolation, where fuel boils in the jets an=
d pushes liquid fuel out into the carb throats=2E (Like an old fashioned co=
ffee percolator=2E) If so, anything that helps keep the jets cooler will he=
lp=2E

I might try rerouting the fuel line to the stock location, under the therm=
ostat housing (where its cooler); and adding more insulation to the heat sh=
ield=2E

Not sure why the fan is "cheating"; the problem is caused because we can't=
 buy " summer" gas any more=2E Any method to adapt to available fuel seems =
valid to me=2E (My intention, if I ever get back to that point, is to make =
the electric fan keep running for 5 or 10 minutes after shutdown=2E)

A vacuum leak would make it start easier with the choke=2E Have you tried =
that?
-- Randall

On 5 July 2019 16:43:31 GMT-05:00, TERRY SMITH <terryrs@comcast=2Enet> wro=
te:
>Spark issue is solved (bad electronic ignition)=2E  Resulting overheating
>problem is solved (timing/mixture issue)=2E  Yet driving an hour in
>today's heat, the temp needle stayed normal, but the car was a trifle
>slow to start when I got back to it=2E  Put the pedal all the way down
>and it fired up, but engine fluttered at low RPM's until I'd reved it
>for a short time=2E  Sounds like classic vapor lock=2E  Afterwards, the c=
ar
>runs smooth and with great power and acceleration, except idle moves a
>bit up and down and engine stumbles sometimes at low RPM=2E  When I got
>home I pulled the plugs and found no black, so apparently I'm not
>running too rich=2E  Two questions:
>

>One:  the obvious=2E  Pulling the air cleaners off, I found I'd forgotten
>to put the springs back on that hold the jet assembly to the carb=2E=20
>Duh=2E  So what are the symptoms of that, other than low scores on IQ
>tests?
>

>Two:  the probably obvious=2E  I'd rerouted the fuel lines under the
>hood=2E  They now go over the thermostat area=2E  I've encased the tubing
>in slitted fuel line to give them some insulation, but it hasn't solved
>what seems to be vapor lock=2E  I do have the aftermarket insulative
>plate under the carbs to bank heat off the manifold=2E  I have a fan I
>could install that might bring the temp down after engine shutdown but
>that seems a cheating type fix=2E
>

>Three:  the awful=2E  It could be a vacuum leak, I suppose=2E  Please,
>nobody suggest it is because then it might be true=2E=2E=2E=2Eugh=2E
>

>Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
>
>New Hampshire

------ASAMEVOZ8OGB3UGJJYAX2PCTR0NV32
 charset=utf-8

<!doctype html><html><head>
</head><body>Which springs are you talking about? There's a compression sp=
ring on the jet housing that just keeps the mixture but from moving=2E And =
an extension spring to the side that returns the jets to the non-choke posi=
tion after using the choke=2E<br><br>People use the term "vapor lock" to co=
ver a lot of different actual problems=2E True vapor lock (IMO) is when the=
 fuel boils before reaching the fuel pump (or inside the pump)=2E The pump =
is not effective at moving vapor (hence quits pumping and becomes vapor loc=
ked)=2E<br>I've never seen that on a TR=2E And rerouting the line after the=
 pump wouldn't help if that was the problem=2E<br><br>Your problem sounds m=
ore like percolation, where fuel boils in the jets and pushes liquid fuel o=
ut into the carb throats=2E (Like an old fashioned coffee percolator=2E) If=
 so, anything that helps keep the jets cooler will help=2E<br><br>I might t=
ry rerouting the fuel line to the stock location, under the thermostat hous=
ing (where its cooler); and adding more insulation to the heat shield=2E<br=
an't buy " summer" gas any more=2E Any method to adapt to available fuel se=
ems valid to me=2E (My intention, if I ever get back to that point, is to m=
ake the electric fan keep running for 5 or 10 minutes after shutdown=2E)<br=
:43:31 GMT-05:00, TERRY SMITH &lt;terryrs@comcast=2Enet&gt; wrote:<blockquo=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; border-left:=
 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
r: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Spark issue is solved (bad electronic ignition)=2E&nbs=
p; Resulting overheating problem is solved (timing/mixture issue)=2E&nbsp; =
Yet driving an hour in today's heat, the temp needle stayed normal, but the=
 car was a trifle slow to start when I got back to it=2E&nbsp; Put the peda=
l all the way down and it fired up, but engine fluttered at low RPM's until=
 I'd reved it for a short time=2E&nbsp; Sounds like classic vapor lock=2E&n=
bsp; Afterwards, the car runs smooth and with great power and acceleration,=
 except idle moves a bit up and down and engine stumbles sometimes at low R=
PM=2E&nbsp; When I got home I pulled the plugs and found no black, so appar=
ently I'm not running too rich=2E&nbsp; Two questions:</p><p style=3D"font-=
size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51)=
;"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-s=
erif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">One:&nbsp; the obvious=2E&nbsp; Pulling the =
air cleaners off, I found I'd forgotten to put the springs back on that hol=
d the jet assembly to the carb=2E&nbsp; Duh=2E&nbsp; So what are the sympto=
ms of that, other than low scores on IQ tests?<br></p><p style=3D"font-size=
: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><=
br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif=
; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Two:&nbsp; the probably obvious=2E&nbsp; I'd rer=
outed the fuel lines under the hood=2E&nbsp; They now go over the thermosta=
t area=2E&nbsp; I've encased the tubing in slitted fuel line to give them s=
ome insulation, but it hasn't solved what seems to be vapor lock=2E&nbsp; I=
 do have the aftermarket insulative plate under the carbs to bank heat off =
the manifold=2E&nbsp; I have a fan I could install that might bring the tem=
p down after engine shutdown but that seems a cheating type fix=2E<br></p><=
p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color:=
 rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvet=
ica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Three:&nbsp; the awful=2E&nb=
sp; It could be a vacuum leak, I suppose=2E&nbsp; Please, nobody suggest it=
 is because then it might be true=2E=2E=2E=2Eugh=2E<br></p><p style=3D"font=
-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51=
);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-=
serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Terry Smith, '59 TR3A<br></p><p style=3D"fo=
nt-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, =
51);">New Hampshire<br></p>
------ASAMEVOZ8OGB3UGJJYAX2PCTR0NV32--

--===============9164941992469905514==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **