[TR] Stag A/C

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, bill_beecher@flash.net 41SnvmlSDJ4nPMCQJG8U6jaqt5re/2SGip2rI8XSzS8bMn0aI7dfRMU2ph5YlOi5pcP2fBPTbeiKiNXpZbhDj+rMiTR95yufWhs=
Subject: [TR] Stag A/C
From: Frank Magnusson <fmags@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 14:54:50 -0500
Hi Bill,

All good questions.

Most U.S. Stags have factory A/C.  I don't recall the manufacturer but its
straight out of detroit, so parts should be easy to get.  If a Stag doesn't
have the factory a/c, it should be easy to enough to fit either an original
unit, or one from Vintage Air or other supplier.  When I got my Stag, alot of
the a/c system was missing, but I was able to find all of the parts either new
or used and get it operational.  It works well and blows ice cold air.

Engine problems are still there on all years but as long as you are aware of
the issues and make sure they are addressed, you'll be fine.  Two main problems
- water pumps and timing chains, and both problems exacerbated by some poor
quality parts on the market, but as long as you are careful who you buy from
and check all the parts you get, you should be fine.  But, timing chains dont
last very long, and you'll end up changing them more often than you'd think.

One other item is what gearbox do you want, automatic, manual, or manual with
overdrive.  There are some clutch issues with the manual boxes similar to TR6
problems, but they are fairly easily fixable.

There are some engine conversions to a Rover V8, which fixes all of those
issues; just depends what you want.  TR8 V8 conversion also.

Even with its issues, the Stag is really a neat car; fun to drive, turns heads,
sounds awesome with the original V8, and has a/c and 4 seats.

Hope this helps,
Frank
'72 Stag

** triumphs@autox.team.net **