Re: [TR] Whitworth Wrenches on a TR3?

To: "'Tom Walling'" <pdqtr6@comcast.net>, "'Jim Henningsen'" <trguy75@gmail.com>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Whitworth Wrenches on a TR3?
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 19:56:59 -0700
I literally just did this today to replace the felt in the steering column.
Just to add a few hints, to remove the control head, remove the 3 grub
screws in the steering wheel, they are a little hard to see if you are not
looking for them, and pull the head out from the stator tube.  If you have a
little extra wire coming out of the steering box, you don't have to remove
the horn-push/turn signal head completely - it may be helpful to have
someone feed the wires up from the bottom of the steering box while you pull
on the head. If you don't remove the head completely along with all the
wires, which just makes it that much more difficult to reinstall, you can't
use a socket on that nut. I used a large adjustable crescent wrench
vertically with a screw driver through the hole at the end of the handle,
but an open end wrench of the right size if you have one, which i don't, may
work better.

BTW, I don't have any Whitworth wrenches and have managed many projects on
my TR3 and my 49 TR 2000 without them.
Bob