Re: [TR] Hole in the side of 2 tappets

To: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul1@gmail.com>, "Triumph list Team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Hole in the side of 2 tappets
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 09:11:03 -0500

--------------71ED047D3CD5D863F7E3E4CE

Paul, some of the "competition grade" tappets have an oil drain hole
drilled as you describe.  They are fine as long as the surface that
rides against the camshaft isn't pitted or damaged in some way.  It does
indicate that they are not original, or if original that someone drilled
oil drain holes in them...

Regards, Tony Drews

On 9/15/2019 8:39 AM, Paul Dorsey wrote:
> I had a chance this afternoon with my engine head off to take my solid
> tappets out of my TR3 engine.  To my bewilderment two of the eight
> solid lifters had holes in them, both holes were about 1/8" or larger,
> and it looked as if they were drilled into the tappet at an angle and
> they were in the side of the lifter and about 1/2" from the bottom; I
> took a picture of one of them and I will try and post it, ISTR that
> this list maynot allow pictures?  The picture must have failed.
>
> I quess they need replacing?  What causes this?
>
> Paul Dorsey  60 TR3
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/tony@tonydrews.com

--------------71ED047D3CD5D863F7E3E4CE

  <head>
  </head>
      hole drilled as you describe.  They are fine as long as the
      surface that rides against the camshaft isn't pitted or damaged in
      some way.  It does indicate that they are not original, or if
      original that someone drilled oil drain holes in them...</p>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAFU8DPuOp-iLCfySQ3SKpEaTZkwt3gHAp9gqd7zNOdpdbAiprw@mail.gmail.com">
        off to take my solid tappets out of my TR3 engine.  To my
        bewilderment two of the eight solid lifters had holes in them,
        both holes were about 1/8" or larger, and it looked as if they
        were drilled into the tappet at an angle and they were in the
        side of the lifter and about 1/2" from the bottom; I took a
        picture of one of them and I will try and post it, ISTR that
        this list maynot allow pictures?  The picture must have failed.<br>
        I quess they need replacing?  What causes this?<br>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>