Re: [TR] 61 TR3A Question Brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Jim Henningsen <trguy75@gmail.com>, 'Triumphs' <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] 61 TR3A Question Brakes
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> W7S7VU/gMO5g/McFwu+YxF6h6Ju8g30IP66wfZ50p4zM7e/FdajP9mrojgSD6vMQrkdQTQpSECeNU4Jy/sJGvS0Jw9NGiuz2TRTVhiEzu4GQTWB90oB7CH2x
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 12:43:14 -0600

------6553HRPE1YZMERB5WND3I07UHYL65J
 charset=utf-8

I've had mine disabled since around 1975=2E

The only downside to disabling the valve is that you may notice a low peda=
l after hard cornering=2E
At least for me, I've always still been able to get good brakes on the fir=
st application, the pedal just goes down farther than it usually does=2E Ki=
nd of disconcerting if you aren't expecting it, but it only takes one pump =
to bring it back up=2E

There is a modification to eliminate the low pedal, developed by "uncle ja=
ck" Drews IIRC and sold today by TRF (and probably others)=2E Probably a go=
od idea if you're going racing, but not really required on the street, IMO=
=2E I forget the change point offhand, but the factory quit fitting the val=
ve at some point, either during TR4 or maybe when the 4A was introduced=2E
-- Randall

On 6 November 2019 12:19:21 GMT-06:00, Jim Henningsen <trguy75@gmail=2Ecom=
> wrote:
>My front brakes feel like they are dragging and I heard that it can be
>caused by faulty restrictor valve assembly (part number 116197 in Tr4
>parts
>manual)=2E  I have same part on my 62 early Tr4=2E  The calipers have bee=
>rebuilt, new seals, ss pistons, hoses and dot 5=2E  New master cylinder
>too=2E
>Any harm in removing the spring and "screw" internals on the restrictor
>valve so fluid flows freely=2E  Also heard that you don't really need
>restrictor valve=2E =20
>Thanks in advance,
>Jim Henningsen
>61 TR3A
>62 TR4
>75 TR6
>82 Jeep CJ8
>
>** triumphs@autox=2Eteam=2Enet **
>
>Donate: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml
>Archive: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/triumphs=20
>http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/archive
>
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
>http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/triumphs/tr3driver@ca=2Err=2Eco=

------6553HRPE1YZMERB5WND3I07UHYL65J
 charset=utf-8

>The only downside to disabling the valve is that you may notice a low peda=
l after hard cornering=2E<br>At least for me, I've always still been able t=
o get good brakes on the first application, the pedal just goes down farthe=
r than it usually does=2E Kind of disconcerting if you aren't expecting it,=
 but it only takes one pump to bring it back up=2E<br><br>There is a modifi=
cation to eliminate the low pedal, developed by "uncle jack" Drews IIRC and=
 sold today by TRF (and probably others)=2E Probably a good idea if you're =
going racing, but not really required on the street, IMO=2E I forget the ch=
ange point offhand, but the factory quit fitting the valve at some point, e=
ither during TR4 or maybe when the 4A was introduced=2E<br>-- Randall<br><b=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 6 November 2019 12:19:21 GMT-06:00, Jim Hen=
ningsen &lt;trguy75@gmail=2Ecom&gt; wrote:<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote"=
 style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204,=
 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<pre class=3D"k9mail">My front brakes feel like they are dragging and I he=
ard that it can be<br>caused by faulty restrictor valve assembly (part numb=
er 116197 in Tr4 parts<br>manual)=2E  I have same part on my 62 early Tr4=
=2E  The calipers have been<br>rebuilt, new seals, ss pistons, hoses and do=
t 5=2E  New master cylinder too=2E<br>Any harm in removing the spring and "=
screw" internals on the restrictor<br>valve so fluid flows freely=2E  Also =
heard that you don't really need<br>restrictor valve=2E  <br>Thanks in adva=
eam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml">http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml</a><br>Archi=
ve: <a href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/triumphs";>http://www=2Etea=
m=2Enet/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/archive"=
http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/triumphs/tr3driver@ca=2Err=2Ecom"=