Re: [TR] Swamp Cooler

To: Bud Rolofson <levilevi@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Swamp Cooler
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 19:34:48 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--00000000000032ee9d05a8a093b9

It helps to live in a dry climate.  Not very effective here in Georgia....

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 12:20 Bud Rolofson <levilevi@comcast.net> wrote:

> Listerati,
>
> I=E2=80=99ve had some inquires about the swamp cooler on my TR6 I mention=
ed in
> another post so here=E2=80=99s the details.
>
> This only works if you have a scuttle vent that has a pop open lid not th=
> scuttle vent with a plastic grill. 69 through some 72 TR6s had the pop op=
en
> lid.
>
> I ran plastic "fish tank" tubing off the windshield wiper fluid reservoir
> (use distilled water) drilled a small hole in the side of the plenum and
> connected it to a tiny copper tube (from the hobby store) with a dozen ti=
ny
> holes drilled into it, cap it on the end with a silicone cap. That tube i=
> wrapped with some porous material and held to the tube by using some
> magnetic clips from Harbor Freight. The magnets hold the assembly to the
> bottom of the scuttle lid. Tuck the material down the plenum so air flows
> through and not around it. I press the washer switch for about 6-8 second=
> and before long cool air comes out any or all the round vents or out over
> the tran tunnel or where ever you set your controls for air flow. It only
> works when moving of course but today I had cool air coming out nicely on
> my feet and the upper round vents on my body. With the tonneau cover on a=
nd
> covering the passenger seat the cool air was all directed on me. It was 9=
2
> today and I drove around for a couple hours and the reservoir still was 1=
/3
> full.
>
> You lose having washer fluid for the windshield but I never used mine tha=
> I can remember. I'd rather have cool air.
> Plus everything is reversible to stock except for the small hole to the
> plenum. But I'm never going back. The lid still works as it should and
> nothing is visible when it's shut.
>

> Bud Rolofson
>
> Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
>
> 71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
> 71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
> 69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
> 93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
> 77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/fishplate@gmail.com

--00000000000032ee9d05a8a093b9

 class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 12:20 Bud Rolofson &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:levilevi@comcast.net";>levilevi@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></d=
iv><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left=
:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Listerati,<br>
I=E2=80=99ve had some inquires about the swamp cooler on my TR6 I mentioned=
 in another post so here=E2=80=99s the details.<br>
This only works if you have a scuttle vent that has a pop open lid not the =
scuttle vent with a plastic grill. 69 through some 72 TR6s had the pop open=
 lid.<br>
I ran plastic &quot;fish tank&quot; tubing off the windshield wiper fluid r=
eservoir (use distilled water) drilled a small hole in the side of the plen=
um and connected it to a tiny copper tube (from the hobby store) with a doz=
en tiny holes drilled into it, cap it on the end with a silicone cap. That =
tube is wrapped with some porous material and held to the tube by using som=
e magnetic clips from Harbor Freight. The magnets hold the assembly to the =
bottom of the scuttle lid. Tuck the material down the plenum so air flows t=
hrough and not around it. I press the washer switch for about 6-8 seconds a=
nd before long cool air comes out any or all the round vents or out over th=
e tran tunnel or where ever you set your controls for air flow. It only wor=
ks when moving of course but today I had cool air coming out nicely on my f=
eet and the upper round vents on my body. With the tonneau cover on and cov=
ering the passenger seat the cool air was all directed on me. It was 92 tod=
ay and I drove around for a couple hours and the reservoir still was 1/3 fu=
ll.<br>
You lose having washer fluid for the windshield but I never used mine that =
I can remember. I&#39;d rather have cool air.<br>
Plus everything is reversible to stock except for the small hole to the ple=
num. But I&#39;m never going back. The lid still works as it should and not=
hing is visible when it&#39;s shut.<br>
Bud Rolofson<br>
Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)<br>
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)<br>
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3<br>
69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)<br>
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle <br>
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nore=
ferrer">triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **<br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"; rel=3D"noreferr=