Re: [TR] anti squeal shims

To: Paul Tegler <ptegler@verizon.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] anti squeal shims
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 21:50:16 -0600
On 7/8/2020 8:23 PM, Paul Tegler wrote:

> From past experience, these shims are a joke. REAL squal shims as many
> are using/calling them, have a dense thin pad of material on them to
> deaden vibration.
> exact same function as boommat/dynamat on your interior floors and panels.
>
> as a test... only a test as the achieve won't hold up to the heat...
> just place two layers of duct tape just a tad larger than the piston
> on the piston side of the shim

Shims were always a problem, in that if the piston retracted fully, the
shim would rattle between the caliper and the pad. I've always been
partial to the blue goo that came with the old GM single-piston,
floating pad carrier kits.  Allowed to set up properly, it was a
physical connection between the piston and the pad and yet was still
soft and flexible enough to dampen vibration.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

tox.team.net