Re: [TR] Overdrive and Sppedometer

To: "fishplate@gmail.com" <fishplate@gmail.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Overdrive and Sppedometer
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 16:29:39 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_4986005_298731290.1598286579534

 If Randall was still with us he could tell you when this happened.=C2=A0 I=
'm not sure when but I think it was right about this time.
In the olden days all gearboxes cam with the same speedometer drive gear an=
d the speedometers were calibrated based on the rear axle ratio.=C2=A0 If y=
ou look closely you will see a small print number indicating the number of =
turns per mile.=C2=A0 It could be some number like 1123 or 1056.=C2=A0=20

Then they adopted the more industry-standard 1000 turns per mile speedomete=
r.=C2=A0 With this scheme they would fit different speedometer drive gears =
according to the rear axle ratio.=C2=A0=20

You may be able to fix this with a different driven gear, which is easily i=
nterchangeable in situ from under the car.=C2=A0 You might check the archiv=
es.=C2=A0 There is probably a graph showing what color gear (they are color=
 coded) you need for the axle you have.=C2=A0 OD or no OD is of no conseque=
nce since the gear is driven off of the transmission output shaft.=C2=A0=20

Let us know what you find.
=20
Dave=20

=20