Re: [TR] Spitfire question

To: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Spitfire question
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2020 10:38:37 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--000000000000e111ab05b39a3d15

>From memory:

Smaller cup washer > Plastic Hat > metal sleeve > larger cup washer.  The
square o-ring is a gasket that fits between the cup washers.  Note that
the smaller cup washer should have a larger hole than the larger (outer)
cup washer.

Play with that and you should see pretty quickly.  See, for instance, the
diagram on this page:  https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID005736

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 9:49 AM DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine must be desperate since he is asking me for advice about
> his Spitfire and I have almost no experience with those.  He is working on
> reassembling the rear trunion.  There is a plastic bushing on either side
> that is hat shaped.  There are two cupped washers and a rubber seal.  The
> bushing, sleeve and cupped washers are all self evident.  My question is
> about the rubber seal.  I'm thinking this seal needs to go on the OD of the
> hat section of the bushing but it seems to be about 1/4 inch (6mm) too
> small in diameter to fit around it and trying to stretch it and keep it in
> place is an exercise in aggravation.
>
> What has been the experience of those here who have done this and what
> recommendations have you?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dave
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/fishplate@gmail.com

--000000000000e111ab05b39a3d15

t; metal sleeve &gt; larger cup washer.=C2=A0 The square o-ring is a gasket=
 that fits between the cup washers.=C2=A0 Note that the=C2=A0smaller cup wa=
sher should have a larger hole than the larger (outer) cup washer.<br><br>P=
lay with that and you should see pretty quickly.=C2=A0 See, for instance, t=
he diagram on this page:=C2=A0=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://rimmerbros.com/Item-=
ss=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Nov 8, 202=
0 at 9:49 AM DAVID MASSEY &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dave1massey@cs.com";>dave1ma=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex">
g me for advice about his Spitfire and I have almost no experience with tho=
se.=C2=A0 He is working on reassembling the rear trunion.=C2=A0 There is a =
plastic bushing on either side that is hat shaped.=C2=A0 There are two cupp=
ed washers and a rubber seal.=C2=A0 The bushing, sleeve and cupped washers =
are all self evident.=C2=A0 My question is about the rubber seal.=C2=A0 I&#=
39;m thinking this seal needs to go on the OD of the hat section of the bus=
hing but it seems to be about 1/4 inch (6mm) too small in diameter to fit a=
round it and trying to stretch it and keep it in place is an exercise in ag=
gravation.</font></div>

one this and what recommendations have you?</font></div>

** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">triumphs@au=
tox.team.net</a> **<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"; rel=3D"noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>=C2=A0 <a h=