Re: [TR] Making brake pipes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Making brake pipes
From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <tjwakeman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 20:44:03 -0700

--------------A97CD7B469723531E54C487F

First, American and British standard brake fittings are incompatible,
The British standard uses long noses before the threaded part and
American standard fittings do not, which means a male British fitting
will only screw in a couple threads before it bottoms out and an
American male fitting will run out of threads before the end can make a
seal when used with a British standard female fitting. That said. Rovers
North sells bare fittings Other US companies may as well.

Second, good auto parts stores sells ready made brake lines on different
lengths with American fittings. What I did was cut off one flare,
replace the US fittings with UK fittings then after bending to shape
made a new flare on the end that was cut off. If I needed longer lines
than the store had I just joined two together using a US union fitting.
I did this with both cars. The Land Rover has used my replacement lines
for about 40 years now and the TR3 for about 30 years. I purchased my
flare making kit from Eastwood.

TeriAnn

--

Book - The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and
Canada <http://overlandtravel.us>

*Because the world beckons and life waits for no one*

--------------A97CD7B469723531E54C487F

  <head>
  </head>
      brake fittings are incompatible, The British standard uses long
      noses before the threaded part and American standard fittings do
      not, which means a male British fitting will only screw in a
      couple threads before it bottoms out and an American male fitting
      will run out of threads before the end can make a seal when used
      with a British standard female fitting. That said. Rovers North
      sells bare fittings Other US companies may as well.</div>
      ready made brake lines on different lengths with American
      fittings. What I did was cut off one flare, replace the US
      fittings with UK fittings then after bending to shape made a new
      flare on the end that was cut off. If I needed longer lines than
      the store had I just joined two together using a US union fitting.
      I did this with both cars. The Land Rover has used my replacement
      lines for about 40 years now and the TR3 for about 30 years. I
      purchased my flare making kit from Eastwood.</div>
cite="mid:CANLCLaG=WM4vV0b+fDukCfhKwiypz0CdKtDGtzHz0LUCpUeBgw@mail.gmail.com">
        rebuilding some hydraulic hoses for my Stag's rack. So far I
        have managed to reuse some flares.
          expensive here in USA. UK have some but shipping costs add up.</div>
          your fittings?I bought a cu /� nickel line kit that came with
          fittings I can use.� </div>
          -- <br>
            data-smartmail="gmail_signature">
                Cupertino, California</div>
          Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and
          Canada</a>
        2 years to write and 38 years of travel and camping to learn
        what to write<br>

--------------A97CD7B469723531E54C487F--

--===============0775473990508157985==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **