Re: [TR] Old Triumph Dealer

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Old Triumph Dealer
From: Dave MacKay <dave@mdmackay.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 15:14:00 -0500
>Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 21:53:39 +0000
>From: mailto:trhouse@columbus.rr.com
>Subject: [TR] Old Triumph Dealer
>
> Who would have been the Triumph Dealer around Ontario California era 60s?

Cal Sales was the Triumph distributor for the Western United States (more
than just California). It was owned by Walter G. Danielson, Dorothy Deen,
and Paul Bernhardt. They were located in Gardena, California. Here are two
articles about Dorothy Deen and Cal Sales:
https://www.hagerty.com/media/archived/dorothy-deen/ and
http://www.doretti.co.uk/page9.htm

Kas Kastner worked for Cal Sales.

Cal Sales was the basis of a dealer network set up to handle the
distribution of Standard-Triumph and Doretti (and Peerless, for a while)
cars in the American states west of the Mississippi. I came across a court
case from a dealer disgruntled with Cal Sales for not renewing his fanchise
(see https://casetext.com/case/barney-motor-sales-v-cal-sales).

According to the Wikipedia entry on Kas, â??The Cal Sales distributorship was
purchased by the Triumph parent company in October 1960.â??

There is a Facebook page devoted to Triumph Car dealers. See:
https://www.facebook.com/TriumphCarDealers/. I have copied this information
from a blog referenced there.
        Triumph Car Main Distributor List for USA in 1962
        The Triumph Herald owners handbooks for the USA market included a list
of
the main distributors.  I have extracted this information from the USA
Triumph Herald Coupe and Convertible    Owners Handbook for 1959-62.

        Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah,
Washington, Wyoming
        CAL SALES, INC., 1957 West 144th Street, Gardena, California
        Telephone: Davis 9-7575
Perhaps that Facebook site can help with more information about the dealers
carrying Triumph in the Los Angeles area in the 60s.

My TR3A was sold by Cal Sales. Although my car is a 1960, it wasnâ??t
registered until 1962.

Regards,

Dave MacKay
1960 TR3A s/n 68639L