Re: [TR] Robbins Top

To: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <tjwakeman@gmail.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Robbins Top
From: Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:33:13 -0600

--00000000000041a63105d5c9b6bb

Thanks Teri,

That is a lesson learned, a lot of what I read said to put the top in the
sun so it would be warm and pliable, but if I were to do it over again
would probably do it in the garage on a warm day.

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022, 10:01 AM TeriAnn J. Wakeman <tjwakeman@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 1/17/22 7:33 AM, Greg Lemon wrote:
> > I got a Robbins top for my TR250 and installed it myself.  It is hard
> > to put up, the snaps are near the bottom on the lower back sides and
> > it is still a bear to get them on unless hot and sunny.  Also hard to
> > stretch it to the rail.
>

> Soft top fabric stretches in the heat & contacts in the cold. A top that
> had its fittings put on during a warm summer afternoon will shrink in
> cold weather & be next to impossible to fully fasten up when it is cold.
> My suggestion is to fit the snaps during cool weather when you would
> normally erect the top to protect from cool weather whilst driving. It
> will tend to be a little loose when erected to protect from hot summer
> sun, but at least you will be able to get it properly fastened down
> during cooler weather and you wont be trying to stretch it enough to get
> it fastened if hit by a shower while motoring.
>
> TeriAnn
> 60 TR3A since 1986
> 60 Land Rover Dormobile since 1978
> no other cars since 1980
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grglmn@gmail.com

--00000000000041a63105d5c9b6bb

>That is a lesson learned, a lot of what I read said to put the top in the =
sun so it would be warm and pliable, but if I were to do it over again woul=
tr">On Mon, Jan 17, 2022, 10:01 AM TeriAnn J. Wakeman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc so=
lid;padding-left:1ex">On 1/17/22 7:33 AM, Greg Lemon wrote:<br>
&gt; I got a Robbins top for my TR250 and installed it myself.=C2=A0 It is =
hard <br>
&gt; to put up, the snaps are near the bottom on the lower back sides and <=
br>
&gt; it is still a bear to get them on unless hot and sunny.=C2=A0 Also har=
d to <br>
&gt; stretch it to the rail.<br>
Soft top fabric stretches in the heat &amp; contacts in the cold. A top tha=
t <br>
had its fittings put on during a warm summer afternoon will shrink in <br>
cold weather &amp; be next to impossible to fully fasten up when it is cold=
. <br>
My suggestion is to fit the snaps during cool weather when you would <br>
normally erect the top to protect from cool weather whilst driving. It <br>
will tend to be a little loose when erected to protect from hot summer <br>
sun, but at least you will be able to get it properly fastened down <br>
during cooler weather and you wont be trying to stretch it enough to get <b=
r>
it fastened if hit by a shower while motoring.<br>
TeriAnn<br>
60 TR3A since 1986<br>
60 Land Rover Dormobile since 1978<br>
no other cars since 1980<br>