Re: [TR] Query

To: "'David Porter'" <frogeye@porterscustom.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Query
From: <stagbytriumph@triumphstagclub.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 12:46:06 -0600
David,

Ground is ground regardless of the voltage.  Consider your house.  It has
possibly 480VAC 3 phase,
or 220/240VAC two phase and then each leg of that makes 120VAC and all that
goes to a single ground
point.  Having different grounds for different voltages causes problems on the
same machine.

For maintaining power for the instruments, first verify that they actually
operate on 6.25VDC or if
there might be a bimetal regulator for a constant 5 vdc which is possible.

Next you should look for a 12 DCV to 6 DCV voltage "regulator", rated at couple
of amps DC and input
/ outputs protected by properly sized fuses, not a "transformer".  Transformers
are typically for
Alternating current, and voltage dropping power resistors are used to reduce DC
volts to ~6 volts to
power the instruments.  The problem with voltage dropping resistors is that
they create heat if
there is any load so locating it is sensitive so you don't burn up anything,
and they consume power
on anything that is unswitched.  A power converter will work far better.

For everything else like lights, ignition components, starter, generator to an
alternator, make sure
your wiring is properly sized so it can handle the amps needed for your new
stuff.

Glenn aka StagByTriumph Garage