tvr

Re: steering rack swap

To: Gavin Ivory <G_Ivory@beutel-can.com>
Subject: Re: steering rack swap
From: "Skip Gurnee." <skip47@home.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 18:41:10 -0800
Gavin-
I can't confirm that the rack is the same or different, but I can say
that I changed my steering ratio by changing to Spitfire/GT6 steering
arms.  They're shorter, creating the closer ratio.  Only trouble is, you
need a torch to heat them and bend them straight to clear the brake
disk.  I'd guess it's probably cheaper and gives the same result as
buying another rack.
BTW, I checked with my local racecar builder/expert, who told me he's
seen lotsa these done without subsequent heat treat, and none have ever
snapped.  Don't heat them cherry red, just enuf to bend them in a vise.
-Skip
'70 Vixen (race car)
3 TR4's (various stages of restoration-or not)
'67 Lotus Cortina
'90 Cherokee (tow car and desert crawler)