tvr

Re: carbs

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@umdnj.edu>
Subject: Re: carbs
From: skip gurnee <skip47@home.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:43:49 -0700
Will-
I've had old-style Strombergs on my '64 TR4 since new, and yes, they're
similar to the SU's in operation.  The problem with them is needle
centering; they stick if not perfectly aligned.  Stromberg fixed it by
designing needles with a floating mount.  Only thing is, they rub the
side of the bore, wearing ever thinner, changing air/fuel ratio as they
disappear.
        The fix?  Use SU's.  My '66 TR4A has them, the engine is stronger, and
as you say, after they're set up, they're fine.  The Weber fix is
expensive but satisfying.  You can lose some bottom end grunt if you're
not careful, but they look, sound, and go better than the SU's or
Strombergs, and never go out of tune, since the mixture is via jets, not
needles.  Smog compliance might be an issue if you're in a Big Brother
state like California.
        I've learned over the (many) years that once the money is spent, one
doesn't seem to miss it.  My '70 Vixen went from the stock downdraft to
two 40DCOE's to 50DCO's, and I contemplate injection for my next insane
purchase. I suppose I could sell the old stuff and recoup some of the
money.  Anybody need a 1700cc Cortina engine that puts out 160HP and
lives?  Got one available (expensive)......

Keep on ragin'
Skip Gurnee
'64TR4, 65TR4A, '66TR4A, 66 Lotus Cortina, '70 TVR Vixen S2 (race car),
'90 Cherokee (tow SUV).