tvr

Re: Vixen Paint??

To: Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca, tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vixen Paint??
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:53:41 EDT
In a message dated 00-07-31 12:12:31 EDT, Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca writes:

<<
 How did you decide to strip the body down to glass, instead of just prepping
 the top coat?

 Was the first factory colour-coat paint or gel-coat?

 Did you consider any alternatives to sanding? Chemical, plastic pellets or
 ice blasting??

 As you sand, is it possible to keep the disk from mooning the glass?? Seems
 this would be a bigger issue on a glass car.

 What is your strategy for fixing those areas where there is cracking coming
 right through the glass?

Stephen,

I decided to not just prep the top coat because there was so much paint on
the car already, and I simply wanted to get rid of the old stuff.  Also, on
my car there were 100's of bubbles in the paint that went down to the base,
and getting rid of them properly required  sanding away all the layers.

There is a gel coat under what has to be the factory paint on my car.

I pretty much fell into having to sand my car because of circumstances.
There has to be a better way.  If I were to do it again, I would look into
having it sandblasted or plastic bead blasted.  I would suggest checking with
some Corvette guys to find out who they use.

I don't have a problem with the disk mooning the glass because I am literally
hand sanding the car, using a small flexible sanding block. (sort of a dense
foam thing).  My "instructor" who has painted several TVR's cautions against
using a DA sander for that reason.

Strategy on the cracks is undecided right now.

I finally figured out I was using the wrong URL when trying to get to John
Upham's site.  OOPS!

Rich Rock