Re: "Vintage"????

To: "James A. Isbell" <JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: "Vintage"????
From: Jeremy Braithwaite <100240.2425@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 19:46:01 -0500
Jim

<<Would love to.  Except for Carlson, I like the Aussie atitudes.  But I
understand the import tax on cars ir terrible.>>

You bring it in on a Carnet ... there's no duty or tax but you agree to
export it again within a year.

This is the way that many racing cars have been brought into Australia and
raced over the years ... its also a tragedy in a way because we didn't get
to keep many of the cars that ran here.

There were some fascinating stories about the way in which the re-export
was done.  One F5000 driver reputedly had an arrangement whereby the car
was wheeled out on the tarmac for 'export' on one flight and amazingly was
're-imported' on another flight that had landed at Mascot Airport an hour
before the export flight left!

Seriously though - there are a lot of advantages in Americans rotating cars
through Australia:-

* Our labour rates are much lower ... the cost of the trip can ge made up
in the value of improvements to the car while in the country.

* We race all year round in Australia.

* Sydney has three full time race circuits - Oran Park, Eastern Creek and
Amaroo - all within 1 hour's drive.  Wakefield Park and Bathurst are 2
hours away.

Beats bench racing!

regards

Jeremy