Re: Sebring 12 hour

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sebring 12 hour
From: Susan <alfasun@esslink.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 08:27:22 -0500
John A. Rollins wrote:

> Roger Garnett wrote:
> >
> > On  2 Feb 97 at 20:00, John A. Rollins wrote:
> >
> > > ...correct about the Sebring date in conjunction with the 12-hour.  SVRA
>is
> > > NOT part of the 12-hour program at all!  The change came at the request of
> > > Chrysler who felt more comfortable with HSR.
> >
> > Tit-for-tat? This might seem to match the loss of Mid-Ohio from the HSR
> > calendar, reportedly at the request of SVRA. Too bad, as  Stories of HSR at
> > Mid-Ohio always seemed to report more track time, and lower cost than the
>SVRA
> > event.
> >
> > What I want to know, is what will become of the Sprite-Mini Challenge on the
> > East Coast- I've been hoping to attend, and run my Bugeye with more than
>the 3
> > or 4 Sprites at a time I've been able to so far.
> >
> >  ________________________________________________________________________
> >  Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
> >                   "The Wayward Sports Car Centre"
> >       "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
> >        sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
> >         "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."
> Roger:
>
> The story I got through the "vine" is that Sprint, the sponsor of the
> SVRA event at Mid-Ohio, was the instigator of the removal of HSR from
> the Mid-Ohio calendar.  Apparently they thought it "detracting" from
> their event.  Whether they did this on their own or not is still not
> known - I might have proposed the HSR event be moved to AFTER the SVRA
> event (in order that it not pose said detraction) but that did not seem
> to be an option.  Joe obviously does not agree with Mid-Ohio's decision
> but is moving forward.
>
> The "Legends" exhibition went very well at Daytona.  The main point
> brought up during the driver's meeting was that no one do anything to
> "screw up the October date" at the track.  We left only one car stranded
> (electrical and, no, actually it was a Porsche 935... not something
> British) and there were no incidents.  October should be fun - gear
> HIGH!!!
>
> Good things seem to be happening for Joe and HSR - about time!
>
> *8o)

Dear all:
Why are these sponsor types starting to dictate who gets what? (Could it
be the golden rule?)

But seriously folks... this has fairly serious implications for all of
vintage racing. The sponsors obviously want to see a great
turnout=gate=cash flow and don't leave much room for the purists. Is
this the direction we're going? Do we want to go there? How good ARE
those parties, anyway?
Cabin fever very bad this year...