Re: allowed modifications

To: Malcolm Cox <malcox.ppp@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: allowed modifications
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 06:20:43 -0800
Malcolm Cox wrote:

> It seems that cheating for more HP is pointless.
> As a newbie, IMvHO racing is it's funnest when you JUST win or JUST lose
> a race-long wheel to wheel tussle with someone you know.
>
> So if, next event you have more HP and are able to go faster then you
> will probably be racing against a different driver, perhaps for 10th
> position instead of 12th position, whatever that's worth.
>
> If you accept the premise that the struggle is the reward and since
> generally in Vintage racing there are no other rewards such as prizes,
> awards or fame, increasing performance is unlikely to increase your fun
> level.
>
> On the other hand one of the the least fun incidents is to ruin an
> expensive weekend by blowing something up in first practise.
> Therefore, cheating to increase reliability is a a good investment,
> cheating to increase performance is pointless.
> If you reeeally want to go faster, buy a reeally faster car.
>
> It would be handy (for us newbies) to get a copy of SCCA gcr's for the
> year appropriate to your "point of preparation".  It would be nice to
> get a first hand flavour of what what was and what was not allowed.
> Anyone know if reprints of these gcr's are available?
>
> Since we are being philosophical, I believe I'll have another beer.
Malcolm:

Well put.  Yes, the GCR's are available from SCCA National in the form
of the "Production Car Specifications" which details how the vehicle
came from the factory.  You will then need to add to that the allowable
modifications for the Series in which the car ran (Production classes,
Trans-AM, etc.) and you have the way the car should be prepared.  SCCA
Vintage requires the cars meet the CURRENT GCR in terms of safety items,
with a fuel cell, window net or arm restraints, fire bottle or system,
harness system, electrical cut-off switch and proper driver apparel
(sp?) - or yes, and at LEAST a roll bar to the current specs.

A copy of our philsophy and general conduct guidelines is available from
my page at http://www.netcom.com/~nobozos/ as it applies to the Florida
Regions of SCCA.  Vintage programs vary from Region to Region though, so
this does not apply to, say, San Francisco Region's program, which is
quite a bit more liberal with years of eligibility, etc.

Good to hear input from another who understands the real purpose of
Vintage racing - FUN!!  Got to go - qualifying starts at 8:30 at Moroso
with HSR.  Talk about shop tours and parties last night - WOW!!!

*8o)