Fwd: Re:Nitrogen in tires

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: Re:Nitrogen in tires
From: oldirish@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:34:50 -0500 (CDT)
------Begin forward message-------------------------

From: oldirish
To: malcox.ppp@napanet.net
Date: 06/17/97 20:29:00
Subject: Re:Nitrogen in tires

On 06/17/97 19:10:57 you wrote:

>Chatting with a Mustang tire service guy, busy sucking air out of lots
>of Mustang tires with a shop vac, curiosity got the better of me.
>
>Said he fitted a new set of tires each race day to each of the 5 vintage
>Mustangs under his wing. After sucking the air out, he replaced it with
>Nitrogen, because "using Nitrogen to inflate the tires, the tire
>pressure increase whem hot was only 20% of tire pressure increase using
>air"
>
>Have some laws of physics been repealed?, or perhaps they don't work at
>weekends at race tracks, or is there really something going on here?
>Malcolm Cox Napa CA 1960 MGA

Malcolm,

Most if not all pro racing teams (CART, NASCAR, TransAm, etc.)use Nitrogen
in their tires.  Air is 78-80% nitrogen gas by volume if I remember my
chemistry (never was any good at physics).  Compressed air with high
humidity levels make it very unreliable, or inconsistent inside a racing
tire.  Nitrogen on the other hand is a much more stable gas and delivers
consistent pressure readings hot or cold.

Hope this may help some.

Jerry

Jerry Liudahl, Old Irish Racing Club:
oldirish@ix.netcom.com
Purple Lips Racing Team: '61 AH 3000, '69 Datsun 2000
Lip Service Racing Team: ITCC Series - '97 Jaguar XJR