Re: Tow vehicles - NOT!

To: Ccanepa50@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tow vehicles - NOT!
From: Dick Rothman <fastcars@home.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 00:30:29 -0400
Ccanepa50@aol.com wrote:

> For a production car the only vintage correct tow vehicle is no tow vehicle,
>   drive the racecar to the track and race, then drive home.
> (spoken by one who tows  his production car  trailer with a F-350 dually)

Definitely!  Except you left out the part about you then have to drive
the racecar to work on Monday.  Most of us did.

In the early 60's, if a someone showed up at drivers school - or even a
regional - with their production car on a trailer - we all thought "Big
Deal - who's this with a trailer?  Must be Hot Stuff."  Most of us drove
our race cars to the racetrack and put our gear and tools, spare tire
and jack - whatever we had - on an army surplus tarp or a blanket in the
paddock area and that was it.  Spare parts? - You're kidding!  Wishful
thinking.  Drivers schools cost $12 then and regional entry fees were
$15.  There was a major uproar when the entry fees for regionals went to
$19.  For a year or two some races were called Divisionals which were
differentiated from Regionals and Nationals, but I don't remember
exactly what the distinction was.  That was about the time SCCA created
the concept of the Runoffs, around 1966.  I believe the first two or
three Runoffs were held at Riverside and then they moved to Daytona or
maybe they alternated, and I think the extra $4 was for a towing fund
for the Runoffs.  No matter - in the late 50's and early 60's most
production cars were driven to the races.  It wasn't until SCCA adopted
what was then known as "Cal Club Rules" around 1963, permitting cams and
other engine mods, that the majority of the production cars were
trailered to the track.