roll cage height

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: roll cage height
From: "Christopher H. Kang, MD" <chkangmd@qnis.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 22:19:05 -0700
I've got a roll cage saftey question:
 i've had a full roll cage built for my lotus europa(car not yet
completed) however, it was pointed out that when i'm sitting in the seat
w helmet on, that the top of my helmet is above the top tube by about an
inch. when i checked with the builder, he stated that he could not build
the top bar any higher/closer to the roof due to the curvatures
involved. The question is this safe enough or do i need to have some
sort of ?plate  on top of the top tube to keep the helmet below the  top
bar? according to the rule books for the organizations i plan to run
with(california), it needs to be :as near the roof as possible". i'm
concerned about compression forces along the axis of the spine if the
car landed on the top of the roof.
thanks for any comments;

christopher