Re: Looking for car to auto-x/vintage race - advice?

To: Jeff Cashmore <cashmo@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for car to auto-x/vintage race - advice?
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@VoyagerOnline.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 20:37:45 -0400
> I guess I'm looking to sell the Rx7 and buy something 1973 or earlier,
> street legal, and vintage legal for less than $10,000, (gee, I'm not
> asking for much, am I?).  If it's already a vintage racer, all the
> better.  (Did someone say Z car?)

The best advice I can give anyone trying to get into vintage is don't
bother trying to run a street car in vintage. Buy/build a race car. If
it tears up, you're not walking. And street car wear out quick when you
race them. Plus, they aren't competitive. You want to think there's at
least one car out there you can beat before you go to grid. If there
isn't, you're not racing, just riding fast.

. Tom Shirley                                     .
. Sale Creek, TN (just north of Chattanooga)      .
. 72 Datsun 510 2 dr (the race car)               .
. 71 MG Midget                                    .
. http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/5848   .