SCCA SF Vintage Philosophy

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SCCA SF Vintage Philosophy
From: GHGC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 17:03:25 -0500 (EST)
Here is how I see it...

The best definition of 'Vintage' is the style. Race them hard but be aware of
the 13-13 Rules of Conduct. Drive 'em to the edge, flat out, fast they'll go,
but don't hit anything. Thus, in San Francisco Region of SCCA, all Vintage,
Historic or Classic cars are welcome. But the style, is what counts the most,
The Vintage Racing style. Nobody will be excluded, there will be no
favorites, our events are open to all. Bring your old car, but bring your
Vintage style.

I've heard the old timers and the new times talk about the good old days of
racing. Just throw the helmet in the sportscar - and drive out to the track,
tech, qualify and race all day, then drive it home - no big deal. Those were
the days my friends, but these days, it's not the same.

Many cars have no fenders and many were never streetable - they must ride to
and from on a trailer. Others can be driven on the street, but what about the
other stuff. All of today's races are 2 or 3 days in length, with tracks
spread all over the West. You have either a motorhome or reservations at a
local motel. Go alone? Not a chance. The spouse who pays the bills, kids, the
dog and crew want to go too. What does that take? Clothes; dress up, casual,
driving clothes etc. etc. Try putting the clothes for 3 days for 2 people in
the back of your 356 Porsche. What about shade? The pop-up, the other set of
wheels and tires, floor jack, generator, ice chest, tool box, a couple of
bikes, folding chairs and table, and 3 plastic boxes of miscellaneous stuff.
How to lug this stuff from home to track and back? You need a truck, a
serious truck with a big-block V8 and 4-wheel drive to pull your Vintage car
and trailer, all the stuff, up the grapevine. No simple task today. Today
it's better, it's Vintage, we go prepared, we go to race, we go to party -
 we go in comfort, it's a big deal. Its the Vintage Racing style.

Next SCCA SF Vintage race open to all: Sears Point Historics, March 21 & 22.
First Call for Entries!