Re: Lever Shocks

To: Doug Wilson <dwilson@america.net>
Subject: Re: Lever Shocks
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 12:51:28 -0500
Doug Wilson wrote:

> I would be interested in knowing more about this modification. I race a
> sprite with lever action front shocks in HSR. We are allowed to replace
> them with tube shocks, but I had rather not do so on the front lever
> action shocks, due to money required and the level of modification
> required to do it correctly and effectively.
> Thanks Doug Wilson
> 59 1275 Sprite
>
> Jack W Drews wrote:
> >
> > oconnor@Fuse.net wrote:
> > >
> > > This winter I'd like to upgrade the lever shocks on my TR6, an IRS
> > > Triumph.  Has anyone on the list modified theirs the way I've read
> > > about how J.K. Jackson at EAS does?
> > >
> > > Apparently this upgrade involves a .070" washer placed under the valve
> > > spring, and 30 wt. oil in the shock.  Anyone ever done this?  Do I
> > > need an "adjustable valve" or is the stock valve an adjustable valve.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any info.
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Kevin D. O'Connor
> >
> > I performed the operation on the rear lever shocks on my live axle TR4.
> > I used both the washer and the "screw the nut all the way down"
> > approach. I like the results. Pretty stiff - makes corner entry better.

Fthe info I used was an article in Grassroots Motorsposrt magazine from
some time last year. It was a road test of a TR6 autocross car. I
beleive J.K Jackson made the sidebar comments about modifications, so if
you ask him or look at the article the info will be more accurate.

However - here's what I did to my TR4 rear shocks:

1. Removed shock from car. Maybe you can get away without doing this.
2. Removed the big but rather shallow nut - really a plug that holds in
the valve arrangement. Removed the valve parts - be sure to get them
all.
3. There is a center threaded stem - very small diameter - with a goofy
shaped item threaded on it. I turned this item down all the way. Takes a
little ingenuity to figure out how to hold the parts without boogering
anything up.
4. I mic'd some washers, found one as close to .070 as possible, and put
it under the spring.
5. I emptied old oil, reassembled, took out fill plug, and filled with
30 wt. oil from WalMart.

I hope I did it right. It only took a couple of hours. Hey, if you do it
and your car rides like an oxcart, suspension breaks off, has terminal
over/under steer etc etc please don't sue me, anybody. BUT -- I liked
the end result. I hope I did it right.

Good luck !     uncle jack