Re: Brakes

To: "John J. Hamilton" <hamilton@nfdc.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 09:48:13 +0000
John, Doesn't anyone racing vintage think that the cars should have the
equipment of their car in the era?  Just because you can make Mustang
front brakes fit on a Comet (with or without the entire Mustang front
suspension) doesn't make it right, doesn't make it vintage and certainly
isn't in the spirit of most vintage racing organizations.  And you
justify this in the name of safety!!  Then why don't you stretch your
safety analogy to include carbon fiber discs and 6 pot calipers--they
certainly brake better and would be safer (by safer, I presume that you
mean allowing a driver to carry more speed into a corner and still slow
down to an acceptable cornering speed in time to make the turn--I would
submit that driving within the limits of the original drum brakes is
also safe, and perhaps safer since the entering speed at the corner
would be less).  Why don't vintage racers want to experience racing like
it was?  Why do they have to "improve" their cars beyond what was
acceptable, and available, and allowed by the rules in the era.  I fear
many of us want to race modern cars that "look old."

Dick Buckingham, Jr.
President - Vintage Motor Sports Council
Race Chairman - SOVREN