Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50

To: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Subject: Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50
From: jisbelljr@mail.utexas.edu
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 13:33:50 -0700 (MST)
>I don't want to hear a single story about "Slick-50 made my car run
>better."  I don't care how many people are using it, just consider this:
>The oil companies don't make it, and the car manufacturers don't use it.
>Add to that the fact that DuPont tried to sue to get them to stop using
>the brand name Teflon, because they didn't think it worked.  They lost.

First you say this, then you say the following.

>There are a lot of people using Redline Oil products in trannies. They
>make MTL (lighter), MT-90 (heavier), and 75W90NS for limited slip diffs.
>Some people have reported problems with Redline boiling out of their
>trannies.  I started using another synthetic called Royal Purple Max
>Gear. The Royal Purple company is in Texas.  Drag racers are starting
>to swear by it. Some NASCAR teams are using it in spite of the big oil
>company logos on the outside of the car. ;=)  The stuff works for me.
>
>I know one racer who says that he picked up 7HP ON THE DYNO just by
>switching to Royal Purple engine and tranny oil.  I think he was using
>Redline before, but I wouldn't swear to that.

Dont you see the irony of these two statements?  Why dont the big oil
companies make, and the car manufacxtuers use Redline and Royal Purple Max?
Must be something wrong with them, right?  Personaly I have not seen that
Redline did a thing to reduce the temperature in either my Lola FF or in my
Jaguar XJS.

No, Dupont sued to protect the name so they could use it on their product,
not because it didnt work.  They wanted to destroy the competition before
they brought out their own product.

As to, "does it work," I dont know, I have only used Teflon based products
for 30 years so I guess thats not a reasonable test, right?  Is Slick 50
better than others, I doubt it.  I have used Metalon and Lubrilon but not
Slick 50.

I do know that I got over 200K miles on a Ford Escort 4cyl sidewinder
without a problem and sold it and it is still running great and getting 40+
MPG.  300K on a Mercedes 220 diesel changing the oil only every 15,000
miles, 250K on a 6 cyl Mustang, and the list goes on.  I have owned over 100
different cars and never had an engine problem until I bought the 85 Caddy
Seville with the HT4100 engine.  Its a piece of shit and Teflon wont help it.

I doubt that magnets will help anything except maybe to remove rust
particles from the fuel before they hit the filter.