Rocker arm failure

To: "'vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net'" <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rocker arm failure
From: "Rabe, Joachim" <RabeJ@BP.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:53:01 +0100
Over the past months I've build a new race-engine for my '64 Mercury Comet
Cyclone. It's a 289 cui 5-bolt Ford with Edelbrock Performer RPM cam, Manley
valves and springs, Crane steel rocker arms with lockable adjusting nuts and
a Holley 650 4150-type carb. After breaking in the engine and adjusting the
carb (changing jets gave some 30 HP) on a road test bench I've discovered
the following : Most of the  rocker arms show signs of overheat  where they
mate with the rocker arm fulcrums.
I've used those heads with the same valve springs before, so it doesn't seem
to be only a question of spring load! Following the installation
instructions I've used Crane SuperLube to insure adequate lubrication at
initial engine start!
Has anybody encountered similar Problems? Do I have to polish the rocker arm
surface where it mates the fulcrum?

Joachim Rabe, ISA 2698
Phone:  +49 40 6395 2698
Fax:       +49 40 6395 3130