Re: Cooling system protection

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling system protection
From: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:36:07 +0100 (BST)
The fact that you are running an Ali rad means you probably dont need
anything at all!!!!! The concept of cathodic protection is that Ali become
a sacrificial anode. The result is that the steel/iron is protected and
the ali rots and disappears. Now if you fill the rad up with salt water I
would thinnk that in 10 years you would have no rust in the block but the
radiator would be scrap - anyone dare to try it?

For those sceptical about this, I can give you a rather good example. In
1927 the land speed record car Babs was burried in salt water. 42 years
later my father dug it up. The gearbox casing (ali) was like powder, but
the internals were all mint. Even the original roller bearings were
retained for the working rebuild of 500bhp

Dr Geraint Owen
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Bath
Bath