RE: Newbie F.Ford questions

To: "'Richard Grayson'" <rgrayson@atlanta.com>
Subject: RE: Newbie F.Ford questions
From: "Rockney, Vaughn (GEIS)" <Vaughn.Rockney@geis.ge.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:51:31 -0400
Richard,
  Here are some answers to your questions.

  Your Toyota Van can tow a Formula Ford on a light open trailer, but you'll
soon want a enclosed trailer.  You will want to to carry tools and parts,
and have a place to go when it rains that you can stand up in.  Once you get
an enclosed trailer, the van won't be enough to tow it.  Once you start
towing an enclosed trailer, you will long for a bigger and bigger truck.
You might as well bite the bullet and buy an 18 wheeler from a NASCAR Team
up front.

  Typically, except for formula Vee, Formula Ford is still the cheapest
vintage class, considering initial cost and maintenance.  A good car, ready
to race can be bought for under $10,000.  A good Vee can be bought for
$6,000, maybe less.  Sprites and Midgets are in the same ballpark.   Tires
are spec and can last more than ten race weekends.   Since the FF engines
are basically stock, they last a long time between rebuilds, compared to a
full race motor in a production car.

   Crash protection is hard to judge.  They are certainly easier to repair
after a crash than a production car.  They are a whole lot easier to work
on.  When you take off the body, everything is exposed and easy to get to.

   There is no contact permitted in any vintage class, so the drivers of
production cars and formula cars are equally careful not to hit each others
cars.

   There are an equal number of races for formula cars as production cars.
You should be able to do 20 events per year, east of the Mississippi, and at
least 10 per year in the southeast.  Look at the current VMC schedule on the
vintage-race web page.  Next years schedule will have even more races.

  The Formula Ford guide you speak of is by Nickless, and is still
available.

  Vintage Formula Ford is growing by leaps and bounds.  In the east, 40 car
fields are not unusual, and 30 car fields are common.   In five years, you
will have larger fields.

  Hope this helps.. as Rick says.. see you on the funway!

Vaughn