hairline crack

To: "Rick Cook" <rccook16@voyager.net>
Subject: hairline crack
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:19:04 -0400
At 09:22 PM 7/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anyone have a good product to plug a hairline crack in the water side
>of the intake valve runner on a 1500 cc non crossflow Ford head? Other than
>Barr's Leak.  Looks like leak has been brazed before.

So I called Loctite, their tech support being in the Toronto area, and asked
what to do about your crack.  The thinking is that since the crack is in the
intake side to the water jacket, it might not get too hot, so an epoxy like
Loctite weld or JBweld might work.  But the first thing to try is actually
the wickable thread locking compound, which is Loctite 290.  This stuff
wicks into cracks and seals up to .005".  The thing is to get the crack very
clean, which may mean heating for some time with a torch to boil out all the
water and oil.  Then, let cool completely, and puddle the Loctite over the
crack.  It should wick in, so you may need to do two or three applications.
This stuff cures in the absence of air, so the stuff pooled on the outside
will never harden, while the stuff in the crack will.  Cure time is 24
hours, and don't use a primer or heat to speed the cure, as this will reduce
the wicking factor.

It may be worth try, I've never used the stuff myself.  Web site is:
http://www.loctite.com/
Brian