Re: Unleaded

To: hayes@mediaone.net
Subject: Re: Unleaded
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:35:02 -0400
I've got the magazine in my library, and Smokey's in a very short list of
journalists that I really respect.  And I don't disagree with his findings,
either.  But unleaded race gas has significant drawbacks, in my opinion,
compared to the ubiquitous Sunoco stuff that we're more familiar with that
have nothing to do with power.  I think, kind of in order of why I don't
like it, is that to me it's truly obnoxious smelling stuff, with aggressive
fumes that make my eyes water when I'm filling the car, and even when I'm
driving behind a car that's using it; that we had some quality or uniformity
problems that burned up a few motors (could well be solved now); that it
stores poorly, so that you must keep it out of direct sunlight at all times,
and I get very nervous if I have more than a quarter tank left in the car
between weekends; and that you can't depend on it's availablility at the
tracks that I visit.  All that said, a number of guys (Mike Rosen used it
last time we ran together) seem to find it OK, and I run it when I'm at the
track (Shannonville) that has it in their pumps, so I'm not fanatical about it.