Re: sportscar noses

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: sportscar noses
From: John Robinson <john@jr-and-assoc.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:54:56 +0100
In article <3607DAFC.360C11E5@quicklink.com>, Robert McCurdy
<rmccurdy@quicklink.com> writes
>Hi,
>
>We're trying to figure out if a sportscar nose on an open-wheel car has
>an advantage over a chisel nose  fitted with canards.  In other words,
>while I pretty sure the sportscar nose is faster on the straights
>because of the cleaned up air around the tires, does it give up anything
>in the way of downforce in the corners?
>
>Anybody have any insights?

My Reynard SF78 FF2000 has a "sports car" nose.  It seems very
effective, the Reynard is fast in a straight line (also sports quite a
narrow track) and the car responds well to splitter adjustment.  I was
interested to note that top end revs did not suffer as a result of
adjusting the splitter to full downforce, whereas I saw quite a big
degradation in top end speed from setting the rear wing at full
downforce.  My conclusion - the full width nose and splitter generate
effective levels of downforce without costing too much in extra drag.

As regards its drag compared to a narrow nose - can't say since I do not
own a car which can carry both  therefore have never been able to do a
back to back test.

Feedback from those more experienced would be of interest.
--
   |                 Historic Formula Vee and Super Vee                |
   |                           Classic FF2000                          |