Re: Speed costs money....

To: ric_bergstrom@juno.com, owner-vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Speed costs money....
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:29:52 EST
Ric Bergstrom wrote:

"..what else should I budget for?"

=09Now you've done it.  That question ought to bring out everyone's 2=A2 w=
orth.
Here's mine:
=09First thing you need to do is check out the safety equipment on the car=
.  See
if any of it needs replacing/upgrading.  IMHO, You should start with a goo=
racing seat, NEW safety belts and a neck collar.  Check the fuel cell and =
fire
system to make sure they are up to date.  Don't overlook the roll bar/cage=
.
Make sure the height of the roll bar is adequate for you.  If all these it=
ems
are ready to go, give the car a good once over to make sure nothing is goi=
ng
to fall off.  I would suggest you invest some time in disassembling, clean=
ing
and checking the suspension.  You just want to be sure nothing is loose or
cracked.  Next review the safety regs of the organization that you plan to
compete with and make sure everything is in order.
=09Now you're ready to get on the track and find out where you will spend =
the
big money.  In other words, I wouldn't advise that you plan on spending mu=
ch
on performance improvements until you have some track time under your belt=
 and
know what you really want to improve about the car.
=09As the old saying goes, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?=
"

=09I haven't seen anyone mention his name yet, but the best source of info=
 for
SVRA events and car preparation is Jack Woehrle.  He is the technical dire=
ctor
and can answer and advise you on just about any aspect of British race car
prep.

=09Good luck and hope to see you at the races in 1999.

=09Doug Meis
=091967 Honda S800 Coupe (SVRA Group 1)