PEE Rating

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: PEE Rating
From: Jody007@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:44:30 EST
   Not that there are any beer drinkers on this list, read on.........

 The average (non-light) beer has 167 calories. A 6 -pack therefore has 1000
calories (1 kilo calorie - 1 kcal)1 kcal = 3.97 Btu.

  We don't like to think of British things when we work on our cars, so we
convert 3.97 Btu to 0.001163 kW hours.

 0.001163 kWh = 0.00156 hp (now we're talkin' - HORSEPOWER)

 0.00156 hp = 51.48 lb-ft/min (0.00156*33,000)

Now, for example, an E36 BMW has 20 lug nuts. If each is to be torqued to
74 lb-ft to accomplish the mounting of a set of R1s,that's 1480 lb-ft
total. If performed in an hour, that's 1480/60 which equals 24.67
lb-ft/min.

 Now, divide our expended energy of 24.67 lb-ft/min by a six pack's rating of
51.48 lb-ft/min and you get .478 six-pack, or roughly 3 beers.

 Knowing that energy cannot be created or destroyed, you HAVE to drink three
beers to accomplish this job or the universe will be out of balance. Of
course, you can eat a Powerbar to balance the universal forces, but the fact
remains that mounting four tires will ALWAYS have the Pilsner Energy
Equivalent (or, PEE rating) of three beers.

 So you see, each job we perform on the car will have it's own PEE rating
whether you drink beer or not. The fact that you don't drink beer does not
change the reality that a certain job expends the equivalent energy of a fixed
amount of beer - there's no short cutting the laws of physics here.