Re: vintage philosophy?

To: rmccurdy@quicklink.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vintage philosophy?
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:02:34 EST
In a message dated 1/20/99 4:15:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rmccurdy@quicklink.com writes:

<<  My car,
 built in 74, was fitted with a 1600 cc engine.  The SCCA later updated
 that to 1700.  A few years later in the series, the water-cooled rabbit
 engine replaced the weezer bringing a ton more horsepower.   A lot of
 the air-cooled cars were updated to water-cooled but still proved
 uncompetitive against the newer purpose built chassis.  So now, back to
 the present day. >>

<< My question is: since a lot of these cars (not my car) were converted to
 water-cooled engine late in their pro careers, would it be vintage
 anathema for me to convert it now.  I know where I can find an original,
 supplied by Carl Haas conversion kit so originality, non period issues
 are, well, not the issue.>>

With SVRA post 1972 formula car regs and those of Monoposto Racing F70, you
would be allowed to update to a legitimate later configuration as long as the
time line (1979) is not crossed. What you are proposing is acceptable with any
group that would allow you to run at all as far as I know. Who do you race
with now?

Jack Woehrle