[BOUNCE vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from ["Pat

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: [BOUNCE vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from ["Pat Ryan" <psryan@novazone.com>]]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:40:31 -0700 (MST)
     Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:08:34 -0600
     From: "Pat Ryan" <psryan@novazone.com>
     Subject: Re: rules enforcement

Peter Krause wrote

><< Vintage for me means building these cars to a specification that WAS,
not IS. The other point
> is that  (all you VMC club rules people listening?) if you have a rule
> in print, enforce it! Do NOT continually "make exceptions" to be
> friendly, accommodating or because you don't care to make a fuss that
> day. >>
>

>Peter, et al.

I do not believe in having a rule that cannot be enforced>

>Jack Woehrle
>SVRA Technical Director

Peter is right in spirit.  Jack is voicing the reality.  Racers learn
quickly what they can get away with in a friendly tech environment.  In SVRA
Group 6 (A, B and C Prod cars and A Sedans from 63-72) we wrote our own
rules by survey and ballot nine years ago.  We came up with "internal engine
modifications are free except for displacement".

When you write a rule without means for enforcement you establish an
environment that penalizes only the traditionionalist, the "by the book"
types or those that are simply unaware of the fact that most racers have the
forbidden "on paper" pieces.  According to Group 6 rules, your fellow
competitors are responsible for enforcement on all areas but displacement,
brakes, weight, tires, wheels, manifolds and transmissions.  This limits
tech inspectors to things they have a method to enforce and gives them more
time for safety issues.  Peer pressure takes care of the rest, and it works,
but only on what you can see.

Protests, fines and "tear downs" are not in the spirit.  SVRA is blessed
with a staff that accomplishes 97% of what we need with a word and a smile,
not a club and a badge.  The drivers committee usually ultimately deals with
the 3% that don't get it.

Pat Ryan

If anyone wants change back from this two cents worth you are probably
entitled.
(We haven't seen this much action on this list since jd pulled our chains
with the flag question)