Re: Generic, But for Spridgeteers

To: LRuggi2635@aol.com
Subject: Re: Generic, But for Spridgeteers
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:48:28 -0800
LRuggi2635@aol.com wrote:

> Hi list--
>
> cobbling together my first vintage car outta some square-nose Spridgets.
>
> Questions:
>
> #1  I've built a metal framework that holds the fuel cell thru the trunk floor
> as well as acting as a mount for the now-trunk-located battery box.  Obtained
> a generic sturdy plastic battery box, and now need to know the universally
> approved method of holding it and the battery to the framework platform.
> Nylon strap(s) for the box?  Metal strap(s)?  Should the battery be attached
> to the box itself (hard to do without drilling thru the box), assuming the
> battery group size matches the box?

The battery must be held in place by metal straps or similar metal
restraints.

> #2  Anyone run a Spridget with a Cobra seat and like it?  They look oh-so-
> period compared to current racing seats.  A head rest would of course be
> installed on rollbar.

Can't help you on this one...
> #3  Who's a good source for roll bar construction in the Southeast (GA)?  What
> prices should be reasonable for rear hoop-under dash hoop-drivers side bar-
> diagonal-to-floor type setups?

I had my bolt-in roll-bar converted to an interior-only cage as you
describe by a local shop that I feel is fair in their pricing.  The cost
was around $700 for the addtional bar material and labor.  Don't cut
corners here - find someone that knows what they are doing and knows the
rollcage requirements for SCCA in order to get that "universal
acceptance".

> #4  Speaking of fuel cells, I've sourced a roundy-roundy 8 gal cell that has
> the inner container made of styrene(?) plastic instead of a bladder.  It still
> has the metal can, valving, foam, cap etc.  Is this legal?  It's substantially
> less $$$ than the big brand names.

This is the last area you want to decide based on cost.  (Just consider
the cost of even a single day in the burn unit of the local hospital.)
Get a good, recognized manufacturer and go with what you can afford.
Racer Wholesale in Atlanta has reasonable prices for ATL and Fuel Safe
(who seems to like to run a picture of my 911 in their ads even though I
have an ATL cell in it, but that's another story...) so you should be
able to "buy local" on this one.