Uni-body Stiffening

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Uni-body Stiffening
From: Jeff Warner <Jeff_Warner@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:00:43 -0600
Hello,

I am a relatively new subscriber to this list as well as a complete novice to
racing - vintage or any other form.  All your discussions have been very
helpful to me.

Main Bottom Line Question:
Should I weld up all the panel joints in my Unibody type car to strengthen the
"frame" of my car?

Background:
I am building a 1960 Mk2 3.8L Jaguar sedan to race with CVAR in Texas.

This car was the first Unibody Jaguar built (granted in it's earlier Mk1 form).
 There is no massive steal frame - just the body comprised of many panels
welded together to form structural boxes.  Most of the welds appear to be spot
welds as the edges of the panels are not welded.

I plan to build a body rotator ( rotisserie ) so I will not be attempting to
MIG weld upside down.  It seems to me a welded bead down a seem would have to
hold better than spot welds.

My concerns are:
1) Will the act of welding on the panels joints actually weaken the body due to
changes in the strength of the metal?  ( loss of temper seems to be too
aggressive a term for sheet metal but that is the concept I am attempting to
describe here)

2) Has anyone out done this before?

3) And as it seems I need to ask with all discussions of Vintage racing .... Is
this allowed?
Rather know now than later.

Thanks,

Jeff Warner